Do you have stained teeth? Do you want to brighten your teeth quickly and effectively? Try professional teeth whitening.
Dr. Ira Goldberg and the team at Morris County Dental Associates offer many cosmetic treatments to improve the appearance of your smile. Many people desire a bright, white smile and are searching for ways to treat their teeth. Discolored, stained, and yellow teeth are a common cosmetic concern that we treat because of this trend. Dr. Ira Goldberg offers professional teeth whitening in Succasunna, NJ. Teeth whitening is a cosmetic dentistry service that lightens tooth enamel by many shades. While there are several over the counter whitening products available, professional tooth whitening is more effective, lasts longer, and is safer.
What Causes Discolored Teeth?
There are two different classifications of teeth stains: extrinsic and intrinsic stains. Extrinsic stains occur on the surface of the tooth enamel. They usually appear as yellow or brown discolorations on the outer layer of the teeth (the enamel). Intrinsic stains occur within the tooth structure. Either the dentin layer (the layer beneath the enamel) is stained or the pulp (the innermost part of the tooth containing nerves and blood vessels) is affected. These stains may manifest as a variety of colors, including white spots, yellowing, or grayish discoloration.
Extrinsic stains are the most common types of teeth stains we treat. These surface stains are usually caused by lifestyle choices or external factors. This includes smoking, poor oral hygiene habits, and consuming staining foods and drinks (like coffee, tea, red wine, and berries). Professional teeth whitening can often easily treat these stains.
Treating intrinsic stains can be more complex. These stains are caused by trauma to the tooth, being exposed to too much fluoride, aging, and certain medications (such as tetracycline). Sometimes professional teeth whitening can help the stain. However, more permanent cosmetic dentistry procedures, such as porcelain veneers, will likely work better for severe intrinsic stains.
Teeth Whitening in Succasunna, NJ
The teeth whitening methods we offer at Morris County Dental Associates include:
- Opalescence “Go”: This teeth whitening system is designed for at-home use making it convenient and easy to use. It does not require custom trays or professional assistance. However, we will give you specific directions on how to use it. We recommend this whitening method for those who want a minimal financial investment and want to walk out with a whitening solution in one day.
- At-Home Teeth Whitening Trays: This whitening method is for those who want a low financial investment and don’t mind getting their treatment over two appointments. At the first appointment, we will take impressions of your teeth to create the custom trays. At home, you fill the trays with the bleaching agent and wear the trays to whiten your teeth. At-home teeth whitening treatments takes place over a number of weeks. You will wear the trays for a predetermined amount of time every night.
- Max KOR®: If you don’t mind a larger financial investment in exchange for a greater level of improvement, then we advise that you get this option. This system provides the best whitening results. Treatment takes place over two weeks. You will use an at-home whitening treatment every night for two weeks. Then you visit our office for a single in-office whitening treatment.
- Ultra KOR®: Made for patients who want to try for the best level of whitening possible, and do not have other dental problems to contend with. We recommend this for patients with fluorosis or stubborn dark stains on their teeth. Treatment involves one in-office treatment using whitening trays. Then you will follow that up with 3-4 weeks of at-home nighttime whitening treatments. After that, you will visit our office for another in-office whitening treatment.
- KOR® Tetracycline: Those who want to try for the best level of whitening possible, or have a difficult case of tetracycline staining that previously did not respond to any teeth whitening treatments are the best candidates for this method of teeth whitening. The treatment involves a single in-office conditioning treatment with whitening trays. Then you will follow that with 6-8 weeks of at-home nighttime teeth whitening treatments. A final in-office whitening visit and periodic at-home maintenance treatments will leave your smile white and bright.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening is a safe procedure that doesn’t damage teeth or gums. Bleaching treatments that keep tooth sensitivity in mind are painless while providing long-lasting results. Over-the-counter, tooth whitening treatments that you find in supermarkets and drugstores are mostly not as effective to whiten teeth. Professional teeth whitening overseen by a dentist can lighten teeth by multiple shades.
Teeth whitening treatment brightens teeth, improves tooth health, and can help improve your smile confidence. Brightening your smile not only improves the look of your teeth but can also benefit your oral health. Patients who receive our treatment often motivate themselves to maintain their smiles with brushing and flossing; as well as routine dental checkups. Good oral health can prevent problems like gum disease and tooth decay.
Teeth Whitening FAQs
The following are common questions and concerns about achieving a brighter, whiter smile. No matter which method you choose to whiten your teeth, understanding the ins and outs of professional teeth whitening is essential for making informed decisions about your oral care and cosmetic dentistry choices. We hope you find the answers to your frequently asked questions about professional teeth whitening. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us today.
What to expect after teeth whitening?
Patients may feel some temporary sensitivity in their teeth and gums after a teeth whitening treatment. Hydrogen peroxide, the active ingredient in teeth whitening, causes this reaction. It removes stains from teeth by eating away at the top layer of stained enamel.
What to avoid when doing teeth whitening?
After teeth, whitening patients should avoid drinking or eating anything that could stain their teeth. This includes wine, coffee, tea, soda, chocolate, and dark fruits.
How long after teeth whitening can I see results?
You will see the effects of teeth whitening after the first 24 hours. The effects will continue to become more apparent for a couple of days after the procedure.
Can I brush my teeth after whitening?
Patients can brush their teeth after whitening. There may be some sensitivity after a whitening treatment, so it is key to use caution. But it’s quite safe to brush and floss teeth after whitening.
Can you swallow spit while whitening your teeth?
The teeth whitening solution is safe to swallow, but it probably does not taste particularly great. Hydrogen peroxide is the main form of whitening solution, and it breaks down into oxygen which is safe for the body.
How often should you whiten your teeth?
Some dentists recommend that patients whiten their teeth once or twice a year. The results from whitening last between six months to twelve months, so most patients only get treatment once or twice annually.
Is at-home professional teeth whitening safe?
At-home professional teeth whitening is safe when used as directed. However, individual responses may vary, and some may experience temporary sensitivity. A consultation with your dentist is required to determine if your qualify for our at-home whitening treatments. You will need to follow instructions carefully to ensure your safety and to achieve optimal results while brightening your smile in the comfort of your home.
Why is professional whitening better than store-bought whitening products?
Professional teeth whitening is more effective than store-bought products due to higher concentrations of whitening agents and custom-fitted trays. Your dentist can also tailor the treatment to meet your needs, minimizing potential side effects. The controlled, supervised process ensures both safety and more predictable, long-lasting results compared to over-the-counter options.
Dr. Goldberg is a restorative dentist in Succasunna, NJ that provides high-quality, professional treatment options to patients of all ages. Call our dental office today at 973-298-5893 for safe teeth whitening treatments.
You may also request an appointment with Dr. Goldberg on our website. Do you have any remaining questions about tooth whitening or any other cosmetic options? Ask a member of our staff. They will be happy to assist you and point you in the right direction.