Many people still do not floss, even after years of education about its benefits. Whitening and bleaching are popular, along with cosmetic procedures like veneers, crowns and orthodontics. There are many mouthwash choices on the market. It seems we want whiter, straighter teeth and fresher breath. But, unfortunately, many of us continue to resist one of the best ways to ensure healthy teeth and gums.
It’s thought that dental floss was invented many years ago by an American dentist who required his patients to clean between their teeth with silk thread. So, silk dental floss was manufactured in the late 1880’s. But by the 1940’s, nylon thread had replaced silk, and waxed floss was introduced. Today, you have a wide variety of flossing options at your fingertips.
If you aren’t flossing and need more convincing, here are seven reasons why you should begin to make flossing a daily habit:
- Daily flossing removes plaque, which also helps prevent gum disease.
- When plaque is attacked by flossing, harmful bacteria is eliminated and cannot find its way to other parts of your body.
- Making flossing a daily habit not only keeps your teeth healthy but it contributes to good dental hygiene which is an essential part of your overall health.
- Flossing shouldn’t hurt. If it does, you haven’t been flossing regularly.
- Daily flossing encourages sweeter, fresher breath.
- Flossing reaches areas and protects your back teeth where most tooth decay and gum disease occur.
- Flossing strengthens your gums which helps prevent gum disease and tooth loss.
Additional note: If a thorough dental cleaning is not on your radar, it should be.
Call to schedule an appointment, today, for a cleaning and begin to make flossing a healthy, daily habit: 973-328-1225.